Monday, April 13, 2009

Paul Sahre

As I was doing my daily checkup of new postings on my favorite blogs, I found a posting of my former teacher, Paul Sahre. Paul was definitely responsible for my sensibilities and eye as a designer; I was formally introduced to design by him freshman year, with a class called Principles of Visual Language. We didn't do anything in color until the second semester. Black and white was our palette, and for the longest we only designed with various sizes of black squares. So it was pretty much the most basic you can get. Very good class. 2 years later, Junior year, I took his Typography class, and I learned a hell of a lot in there as well.

The presentation that was posted on swissmiss.com (which i won't post on here, because it was way too long), was entitled A Designer and His Problems. I think most designers face the same problem of working hard on a project, and then a client hating it. Paul described this by saying, "It's not like digging a hole." Digging a hole is pretty basic: you dig a certain amount, and you're done. Design is the complete opposite; It takes rounds and rounds of major and minor tweaks to make things damn near perfect. The funny thing is that no matter how many revisions you do, it could probably still be better.

In the presentation, he goes through some work that he has done, and tells brief stories about each piece. Below are some screen shots of the presentation, and if you're up to the challenge of baring this extremely long video, check it out here.