Sunday, July 20, 2008

The State of Detroit Address

"Where is home?" is usually the response that I get when I tell people, "I'm going home for a week." And I later reply, with a sense of pride, "Detroit." The pride that I have might be equal to what a New Yorker has in saying, "I'm from New York." Most people know why New Yorkers have pride being from New York: because they know what's there (here); but not too many people know what's in Detroit besides the Red Wings, cars, crime, and 8 mile. I was recently in Detroit this past week, and the next time will probably be during the holidays. I don't think too many people plan on visiting Detroit anytime soon, so every time I go back, I'll post pictures and news of what's going on there, in hope to change some of the preconceptions.

Comerica Park (new Tiger's Stadium):









(picture on the Stanley Cup Champs on side of the Hockey Town bar)

The African American Museum [ (An exhibition that captured and displayed the journey of African slaves to America) This is a place that you definitely need to visit. It continues to remind me of how far we've come, and how far we have yet to go. I know that we, as black people, get criticism for still talking about slavery. A lot of people have the "get over it" mindset, but what most people don't understand is that slavery was more than physical torture and captivity...it was mental torture that was designed to keep us in bondage far longer than the period of time that slavery lasted. Don't take my word for it though, read these instructions that were given to slave owners, by Willie Lynch, on The Making of a Slave. After reading this, I dare anyone to say, "get over it"]:





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I understand the whole piece about mental enslavement and Willie Lynch's approach. Unfortunately, people don't understand it; blacks and white. Funny enough, ive never heard black people go around asking white people for reparations. They are usually explaining a situation that has affected their lives on a greater scale.

Anonymous said...

KC detroit 001