Thursday, July 17, 2008

The New New Yorker cover


Monday on CNN there was a huge discussion about this cover of the New Yorker magazine. On Tuesday I looked for it in about 7 or 8 news stands, and it was sold out everywhere. Surprisingly, I found it yesterday, and I bought 2 copies.

The illustrator of this cover stated that this was suppose to be a satire on the public's view of Obama's religious beliefs and stance. I personally didn't see any humor in this magazine cover, and I don't think it's just because I'm an african-american male. If something is suppose to be ironic or humorous, people should be able to see it. This cover, to me, states: Barack Obama is of islamic beliefs and he and Michelle Obama are unpatriotic (hence the American flag burning in the fireplace).

I know I stated my opinion already, but I'm curious to what others think about this cover.

p.s. sorry for including my toes in this pic.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My thing is... have you looked @ the previous covers ? I do understand that they have a history of being on the satirical side, but its generally things that have been proven, or concepts that are widespread. this one... :-\