Friday, March 21, 2008

Titles, Names, Responsibility

Today I was reading 1 Kings 3:3-15. These verses were about God appearing to King Solomon in a dream, and saying, "Ask what I shall give thee". Solomon began to speak of what God had done for his father David, and he spoke about how he (Solomon) was "but a little child: I know not how to go out or come in" (Which spoke to Solomon's humbleness, for him to state his inexperience). Solomon answered God's question in verse 9: "Give therefore thy servant an understanding heart to judge they people, that I may discern between good and bad: for who is able to judge this thy so great a people." God was pleased with Solomon for what he asked for, and it represented the acknowledgement of the role that he had as king. Being wise and just is very important for a king.

After reading these verses, and then through cross referencing, I came across Isaiah 9:6 and 7.
Verse 6 reads: For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given, and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

This verse helped me realize the importance of Exodus 3:14 (after Moses asked God in 3:13 what shall I tell the people the name of who has sent me): And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.

I AM? What does "I AM" mean. I AM means: Wonderful, Counselor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace, Jesus, KING OF KINGS, LORD OF LORDS (Revelation 19:16), Immanuel, the Son of Man, the Messiah, the Saviour, and the list goes on. "I AM" represents all that He is, excluding nothing. And He understood his responsibility and His role which He states in John chapter 17.

This touched me because I think titles and names get thrown around so much that we lose sight of the responsibility that comes with them. For example: Mother, Father, son, daughter, student, teacher, counselor, art director, creative director, copywriter, group copy/art supervisor, doctor, lawyer, technician, president, minister, accountant, etc. We all have roles to play. We all have responsibilities with the titles that we have. We aren't to think of ourselves as being bigger than we are, or try to get so tied up in our titles that we lose ourselves, but we just need to be conscious of what our responsibilities are and what's expected out of us. Jesus knew the responsibilities that he had and what he was called to do. And it wasn't easy. And I know our responsibilities aren't easy either (even though I think they're much easier than what Jesus had to do), but we have to live up to them; we are responsible for more than ourselves. Our decisions effect everyone that we're responsible for.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lani I really enjoy reading your blog. Your insight is crazy. Keep it up. -Olin