Monday, September 1, 2008

Advertising vs. Design

I just got done reading an article written in the latest issue of Creativity magazine, and it kind of made me raise my brow to what was said. The article was a comment on the Design Lions, which was recently added to the Cannes-Lions Festival this year. One of the judges expressed his concern about the design section needing to focus on design, and not just be an extension of the advertising categories. I understand that they want to be more clear on what's design and what's advertising, but I don't really understand, "...we had to be clear that our focus was not about beautiful art direction but about compelling design." What's the difference? Is "beautiful art direction" only for advertising, and "compelling design" only for design? I thought art direction was about directing the art so that the design articulates the ideas in a compelling way. If that's true, I don't know how "beautiful art direction" and "compelling design" can be separate. Unlessssss, "compelling design" is just that, compelling, and not attached to ideas. But I don't believe that to be true.

No comments: